Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"IF MY PEOPLE..." God's Conditional Promise

I just read the latest about AIG and I feel the frustration, to say the least, along with everyone else. So, I think this bears repeating:

We have a God who is "slow to anger," because He "remembers that we are dust."

But He does have His limits. He does promise to "scourge all that He receives." (Never mind, right now, what He promises to the others.)

That's why He writes this startling promise to His own followers:

If MY PEOPLE who are called by my name [like all those who follow Him and claim His name. In my case, Christ-ian. Christ follower.]

will humble themselves [as in, "Don't make me come down there and humble, or worse, humiliate you."]

and pray [like, "Spend time to sit and talk to me."]

and seek my face [like, "While you're talking, try listening, too--find out what I love. Try obedience, John 14:21, and see me move in your life. And find out what really bugs me. I make it clear in in Deuteronomy 18. Quit turning to the occult for amusement, for starters. I HATE it. Instead, 'shine like stars,' Philippians 2:14-16. 'Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.'" Acts 2:40]

and turn from their wicked ways [like, "I'm talking to you, too, Margo. I love you, you are one of mine, you are saved because your sins were nailed to the cross with Christ and your life is in Him. But as for our fellowship, I cannot look upon sin. You might not do big, horrible, scarlet sins. But the tiniest dingy gray sin still put Jesus on the cross."]

then [like, "You determine when."]

will I hear from Heaven ["I look forward to hearing from you all."]

and forgive your sin ["every last one, dingy gray or huge and scarlet--again, if you'll repent. And I'll work with you and help you."]

and HEAL YOUR LAND. II Chronicles 7:14

I leave that last line to others' interpretation.

On the one hand, I want us all to put God's ways first in our lives so He will heal our land. Bring back some integrity and truth--and a little courtesy and modesty. And reverence. And I believe, up to a point, He will. That's why I bring it up here.

On the other hand, I wonder if we have time for Him to fully heal our land. I read this website every few days: Rapture Ready . To me, things are falling into place.

My friends do not need to agree with me. But just what if I'm right?

What if this is the time? For it is time for judgment to begin with the family of God; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God? 1Peter 4:17

Some may need to push that red button in the right margin. We may be running out of time.

No comments: